Many sales reps jump up and down when they land a new “prospect.” However, many a sales manager has been frustrated a month later to find that the “prospect” was only a suspect.
One of my old bosses developed the list below as a filter before a prospect could make it onto the sales pipeline report.
A quality prospect is defined as:
- We have received confirmation that the budget dollars are available and know the dollar figure.
- We can describe the competitive situation.
- We have some advantage over the alternative choices.
- We can describe prospects current system and full set of prioritized needs.
- We have identified the decision-makers.
- We know the implementation process including the timeline for the decision and implementation.
- We have a champion within the prospect organization.
- We have received a Request for Proposal.
- What criteria will be used to select a Vendor and are we a good match?